Looking for an elegant kimono? Read on to find out where to buy kimono in Japan
Have you heard of this popular Japanese clothing ‘Kimono’? It is a beautiful garment that is known for its traditional history and meaning. These are popular in Japan and around the world because of their beautiful colors, prints, patterns, and amazing deep meanings behind them.
- Related: Where to buy tabi Shoes in Japan
I love wearing kimonos; these help me get closer to the culture of Japan. I also find myself looking stunning and gorgeous. If you are also willing to get your hands on one of these, then you must visit these places in Japan to find perfect kimonos for yourself.
Here are some places from where you can buy or rent a kimono for yourself:
Where To Buy Kimono In Japan
Kimono Aoki Hoten
If you are looking for a place to buy a kimono but you also need to know about the history and want to be guided too, then you must visit this place that offers classic and cultured kimonos. Their kimonos are different from the usual ones as they use animal prints and natural designs which look extremely beautiful and soothing. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: Ginza Premier Building, 1F 1-8-2 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kimono-aoki.jp
- Hours: 12pm to 8pm, Monday through Saturday. 12pm to 6pm, Sunday.
- Transport: 8-minute walk from Yurakucho Station.
Related: Thing to buy in Muji Japan
Here is another place in Japan where you can buy a kimono. This place deals with kimono dresses that are different from contemporary-looking kimonos that have various patterns and prints. The patterns and prints they offer are bold. They use calligraphy prints that are made while using vertical lines and circles. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: Takashi Hiroko, Inc. 1F. 4-11-2 Narihara, Sumida-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: takahashihiroko.jp
- Hours: 2pm to 7pm, Monday through Wednesday. 11am to 8pm Friday and Saturday.
- Transport: 6-minute walk from Oshiage Station.
Related: Top Shopping District in Tokyo
Kimono by Nadeshiko
For soft- and feminine-looking kimonos, you must visit this amazing place in Tokyo, Japan. In terms of pricing, patterns, and their unique ability to create an effortless look is just what speaks for them. They use extremely good quality fabrics for their clothing and are quite famous too. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: 4-30-3 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kimonobynadeshiko.com
- Hours: 11am to 9pm, daily.
- Transport: 5-minute walk from Harajuku Station.
If you are looking for cheap kimonos then probably this one is the right place for you! Keeping the price aside, they are even good with the garment quality and how they make their kimonos. This is one of the recycling shops of Japan.
This place doesn’t experiment with the original kimono style and hence you kind of find the old and classic looks over here to stand out of the crowd. Here’s where you can visit the place:
Address: 6-31-21 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: chicago.co.jp
- Hours: 11am to 8pm, daily.
- Transport: 4-minute walk from Harajuku Station.
Y and Sons
If you want a kimono for your male friend, then do go and visit this place. They specialize in men’s clothing and use quite amazing and clean prints that look extremely smart and elegant.
The shop promotes wearing kimono dress to respect their culture and is one of the rarest of the ones dealing in men’s kimonos. Hence, they are also expensive with their products. Here’s where you can visit the place
Address: 2-17-2 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: yandsons.com
- Hours: 11am to 8pm, closed Wednesday.
- Transport: 8-minute walk from Yurakucho Station.
Who doesn’t like budget-friendly clothes? Well, when it is that way, people tend to wear them more. Nowadays, all the cultural and traditional items are sold on high prices and this is what makes people not buy them.
To overcome that and to also keep the traditions alive in the heart of Japan, this shop sells beautifully printed feminine kimonos at a reasonable price. Now you can get yourself a simple and beautiful kimono to be worn on any occasion you wish to. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: Lumine 1 Shinjuku, 1F, 1-1-5 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: otsuka-gofukuten.jp
- Hours: 11am to 8:30pm, Monday through Friday. 10:30am to 8:30pm, Saturday and Sunday.
- Transport: 2-minute walk from Shinjuku Station.
This one is a second-hand shop that has all the types of kimonos. It is one of the oldest shops that will give you cheap and very classic pieces of kimonos. They have excellent customer service and you will be guided throughout to get a perfect piece that fits you well and looks good on you. Here’s where you can visit the place.
- Address: Nakayama Building, 1F, 3-4-5 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: tansuya.jp
- Hours: 11am to 7pm, Monday through Saturday. 11am to 6pm, Sunday.
- Transport: 5-minute walk from Yurakucho Station.
This is another store that sells kimonos that will absolutely take you to old times. In every piece of garment you find here, there will be a story behind it to cherish.
For people who are looking for statement pieces, you can visit this place and get yourself one amazing kimono. All the vintage kimonos have been kept here with safety to keep their originality intact. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: 4-4-9 Omotesando, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: gallery-kawano.com
- Hours: 11am to 6pm, daily.
- Transport: 5-minute walk from Harajuku Station.
This one is a rental store that will provide you with the oldest and the most luxurious kimonos at reasonable prices. The collection over here is quite amazing and classic at the same time. For an old-style kimono, visit this place and book one for your next occasion! Here’s where you can visit the place.
- Address: 2−9−22 Kitazawa, Setagaya, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kimono-kien.com
- Hours: 1pm to 10pm, Thursday to Monday
- Transport: 3-minute walk from Shimokitazawa Station.
If you are planning to travel to Japan, then do not forget to visit this place where you can actually create a beautiful memory with your friends. This is a rental shop in Japan that is mainly for tourist purposes.
It has quite a reasonable price for their rental garments and they also have photoshoot plans. Do visit this place for a perfect picture in Japanese traditional clothes. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: 3F, 1-22-11 Dogenzaka, Shibuya, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kimonokawaii.tokyo
- Hours: 10am to 6pm, Sunday to Thursday, 4pm to 6pm Saturday, closed Friday
- Transport: 6-minute walk from Shibuya Station.
Japan and its culture are famous across the world. People come and visit places just to experience the Japanese way of living.
This shop is among the ones that rent good quality and beautiful kimonos but also is known for their amazing Japanese traditional collection.
Not just that, they also will provide you with a Japanese tea ceremony experience, which is just a cherry on top! Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: Shinjuku, details sent after booking
- Website: mai-ko.com
- Hours: 10am to 4pm
Kimono Rental Wargo Asakusa
A variety of kimonos, ultimate historic experience, and Japanese traditional ambiance is what you will get at this shop. From the number of kimonos available, you will definitely find something you would love.
They have quite affordable rental packages and they are mainly open for tourists and visitors. They also have family packages and couple packages so do not forget to check them out. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: 1-41-8 Asakusa, Taito, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kyotokimono-rental.com
- Hours: 9am to 6pm
- Transport: 5-minute walk from Asakusa Station
Located near the historical places, which are always packed with tourists from all over the world, this place has some perfect prices that can be afforded by everyone. With the price being the hero here, you also get a luxurious-looking kimono for you to try on!
Get dressed and click pictures in the beautiful kimonos at your nearest and favorite location. Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: 2−32−12 Asakusa, Taito, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: ewha-yifu.com
- Hours: 9:30am to 8pm
Transport: 5-minute walk from Asakusa Station
This place has some different types of plans available for the tourists to enjoy. It has everything you are looking for in the world of kimono.
From bright and beautiful colors to extremely traditional and properly decorated ones, you get them all at an absolutely reasonable price. They have gothic kimono, denim kimono as well as lolita style plans for you to enjoy. Here’s where you can visit the place.
- Address: 1−19−8 Jingumae, Shibuya, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: kimonotokyo.jp
- Hours: 10am to 7pm
- Transport: 1-minute walk from Harajuku Station
This place is a big yes for those who only want a simplistic kimono-wearing experience and not a fan of fancy and luxurious-looking ones. You don’t just get to wear a kimono and get yourself clicked, rather, you also get calligraphy and origami lessons, if you are interested.
Also, in such a small amount, you will be dressed properly in which hair and makeup are also included. This happy package is what you must give a try! Here’s where you can visit the place:
- Address: Village KAME 1−1−18-4 Higashikomagata, Sumida, Tokyo (see map)
- Website: birei-asakusa.tokyo
- Hours: 9am to 5pm
- Transport: 8-minute walk from Honjo-Azumabashi Station
Ready for some kimono magic?
I am sure with all this information on places to get amazing kimonos, you cannot wait to get one for yourself. I have tried several of these places and believe me, I have not once been disappointed with the kimonos I got.
If you love kimonos, you must definitely check out these places to get the most amazing quality kimonos.
Hiya! I’m the main author of Japan Truly. I love everything Japan and love testing out Japanese products, be it skincare and makeup or gadgets! You’ll find reviews of some of the best selling Japanese products (tried and tested) right here!