Are you looking for how to buy contact lenses in Japan? Well, here is a guide for you to purchase lenses in Japan in-store and online. Read further to know more about it.
Contact lenses are really important if you have your eyesight weak or below the desired level. You can also get contact lenses for fashion. These days there are so many people buying colorful contacts because it’s cool, trendy, and makes people look pretty as well.
Well, if you’re in Japan and wondering how to buy contact lenses in Japan then I’m here to help you out. I got my contact lenses here in Tokyo and it was a really smooth process. Well, did you know that you don’t need a prescription in Japan to get contact lenses?
How to buy contact lenses in Japan?
To buy contact lenses in Japan, you’ll first need a prescription from an eye doctor. You can then purchase lenses from physical stores like Owndays or Isetan, or online retailers like Lensmode or Lensnet. Remember to handle and care for your lenses properly, and schedule regular follow-ups with your eye doctor.
- Related: List of Japanese Eyeglasses Brands
Eye Examination: Visiting Optician or Ophthalmologist
The first step on how to buy contact lenses in Japan is to get your eye examination done and this can be done by visiting an eye specialist.
Visiting an ophthalmologist (genka) or an optician is not much of a task in Japan. You can visit the ophthalmologist on your own or visit a contact lenses shop and they’ll guide and suggest you the best ophthalmologist/optician in the given area.
The eye test is done for free by a Japanese optician. All you need to know is some basic words in Japanese, mostly the directions such as left, right, center, etc. The optician will show you a circle with a hole in it and will further ask you to answer where the hole is actually located.
This is the guide to the vocabulary you’ll need for the eye examination.
Even if you don’t remember these words while your examination is on, you can simply point out to the direction you’re wishing to show. This is step one of how to buy contact lenses in Japan.
If you want to denote any angle, all you need to do is combine these directions and say them:
|Angle Direction||Japanese words|
|Top Left||Hidari Ue（ひだりうえ）|
|Top Right||Migi Ue（みぎうえ）|
|Bottom Left||Hidari Shita（ひだりした）|
|Bottom Right||Migi Shita（みぎした）|
Purchasing Contact Lenses In Japan
After knowing how to buy contact lenses in Japan, let’s know about the cost of the lens.
Let’s learn how to buy contact lenses in Japan and what are the costs of the same. Well, as we’ve mentioned above, you can buy contact lenses in any drug store in Japan but please make sure that the drug store is well known and established and won’t provide fake/damaged items.
The contact lenses price in Japan is about 3,000 JPY – 4,000 JPY per box of 3 depending on the quality, eye power as well as the store. It’s however, advisable to go for 3 months supply at once to avoid getting contacts again and again.
Some of the best Japanese contact lens brands are Alcon Air Optix, Frequency 55, Donki etc. Contact lens solution in Japan is also available in the store itself.
Where to purchase Contact Lenses in Japan
So, if you already know how to buy contact lenses in Japan, let’s proceed to the real question, where to buy contact lenses in Japan. Here are a few shops you can buy contact lenses:
- Costco Wholesale: This is one of the best stores to get a variety of products in Japan. You can head over to the Optical Department to get whatever lens you require. They also keep colourful lenses. If you’re wondering how to buy contact lenses in Japan at this store, don’t worry their staff will guide you about it. They have branches in Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa. You can also get them in their online store.
- BIC Camera: BIC Camera is another store to buy branded glasses as well as contact lenses. The store is also available for online orders. Their Optical department is huge and the variety and quality of lenses is impeccable.
- JINS: JINS is a very famous store to buy inexpensive glasses and contact lenses. They offer lenses as low as 3,000 JPY for a set of 3. You can also take a free eye examination at this store. You can also find this brand in other department stores.
If you’re willing to buy contact lenses online in Japan, here are a few options that will provide you the best service.
- Amazon Japan: Amazon.jp has a variety of lenses to choose from ranging from different powers as well as colours. All you need to make sure is to have a copy of your eye examination or prescription so that you can exactly get the lenses you want. It’s not allowed to get lenses without consulting the doctor.
- Contactlenses.jp: This is a supplier from the UK from where you can get your contact lenses from. You’ll find the best Japanese contact lens brands here. Also, here you don’t need any prescription or eye examination report before buying lenses from here. Brands like Biofinity, Freshlook, Acuvue are all available here. Contactlenses.jp is one of the best places if you’re looking for where and how to buy contact lenses in Japan.
How to Buy Contact Lenses in Japan: FAQs
Are Contact Lenses Covered Under Health Insurance?
Now that you know how to buy contact lenses in Japan and the costs of it, let’s talk a little about the cost covered in insurance if any.
We all know that major health treatments are covered by National Health Insurance in Japan. However, if you are getting prescription contact lenses due to bad eyesight or problems like astigmatism, reading aid glasses, etc, the cost isn’t covered in health insurance.
The prices are very low for getting contact lenses in Japan and are expected to be borne by the patient themselves. The prices start from 3,000 JPY, sometimes even more subsidized depending on the issue in the eye or the brand and base radius.
But, if you’re getting a serious treatment done in your eyes from your eye doctor such as cataract, amblyopia, strabismus, etc. then a part of the total cost shall be covered in the insurance. It’s advisable to check with the doctors beforehand.
How much is an eye check-up in Japan?
It doesn’t cost much to get an eye check-up in Japan. Some opticians do it for free whereas others might charge 300 JPY – 500 JPY for testing without covering the state insurance policy.
How expensive are contact lenses in Japan?
Contact lenses aren’t so expensive in Japan. They might cost as low as 3000 JPY to 5000 JPY depending on the brand, eye power, and color. Usually, clear lenses are cheaper than colored lenses.
Buying Lenses in Japan
Buying contact lenses in Japan is not much of a problem, it’s easily available. All you need is a certified eye examination so you get the power and radius of your lenses right. Hope you’re clear on how to buy contact lenses in Japan and are gonna have a hassle-free experience.
Hope you like our article- How to buy contact lenses in Japan and it makes your lens shopping easy.