Grey hair ruining your look? Check out these best Japanese shampoo for grey hair to dye your hair and regrowth. These color depositing shampoos also work well to protect and enhance your hair color. It’s definitely a product you should have in your hair care arsenal.
Using a regular hair dye can be harsh on your hair and may strip your hair of its natural nutrients. You also have to apply it and wait for a long time before you can take it off – which can be inconvenient if you have to do it regularly.
And plus there’s always the risk of uneven coating that may result in an unnatural finish. Also, finding a non-damaging hair dye is not easy!
Which is why these best Japanese shampoo for grey hair is a great alternative. This hair care product deposits color gradually every time you wash your hair, resulting in a natural finish.
tTop Japanese Shampoo For Grey Hair: Quick Glace
|Best Japanese Shampoo For Grey Hair||Check it out on Amazon|
|Shiseido Prior Conditioner||Check latest price on Amazon|
|ANGFA Scalp D Beaute Hair Color Treatment||Check latest price on Amazon|
|DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment||Check latest price on Amazon|
|Rishiri Hair Color Treatment||Check latest price on Amazon|
Which is the best Japanese shampoo for grey hair?
I’ve tested several Japanese shampoos for grey hair based on color depositing properties, pigmentation, longevity, application, quality of ingredients. I found that Rishiri Hair Color Treatment is the best Japanese shampoo for grey hair.
Rishiri Hair Color Treatment is formulated with natural and hair nourishing ingredients including high-quality Rishiri sea kelp. The formula also contains peptides that nourish grey hair.
Most of these best Japanese shampoo for grey hair have been formulated with hair and scalp nourishing ingredients to give your hair a healthy finish. Check out these best Japanese shampoo for grey hair for excellent results!
Our Top Picks For Best Japanese Shampoo For Grey Hair
- Shiseido Prior Conditioner
- ANGFA Scalp D Beaute Hair Color Treatment
- DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment
Related: Best Japanese Shampoo for Hair loss
Related: Best Japanese hair dyes
Top Japanese Shampoo For Grey Hair
Shiseido Prior Conditioner
The first best Japanese shampoo for grey hair on the list is the Shiseido Prior conditioner. Shiseido is one of the best health and beauty brands in Japan and is popular all over the world.
Shiseido Prior is a range of cosmetics that is especially designed to improve and maintain mature hair and skin.
This color-depositing treatment, Shiseido Prior Conditioner, comes in three shades – light brown, dark brown, and black.
This Shiseido Prior Conditioner is designed to work together with Shiseido Prior color care shampoo. The shampoo doesn’t deposit any color to your hair, however, it acts as a protection to your colored hair and enhances the effect of the conditioner.
It’s recommended to use both for the best results. You won’t immediately see the results with this conditioner as it gradually builds up color.
We tested the Shiseido Prior Conditioner using a a few strands of grey hair and coating them with the conditioner for everyday for 7 days for 5 minutes a day.
After day 1, the white hair strands did dye brown but it was light and uneven.
After applying on day 3 and 4, the dye did get deeper and we saw that the color was more uniform than day 1
After applying for 6 days, we saw that the white strands had turned into a deep brown and the color was uniform across the entire strands of hair.
After the 7th application, the white strands were perfectly brown and looked uniform!
It’s important that you use this for 7 days minimum to get even color on you hair so it looks natural. Otherwise, it’s going to look patchy and very unnatural.
How To Use:
- Wash your hair with Shiseido Prior Shampoo
- Apply the Shiseido Prior conditioner. Ensure to generously apply the conditioner in the concerned areas
- Leave it on for about 5 minutes
- Wash hair thoroughly
- Repeat for 7 days
- Easy to use
- As the color builds up eventually, there are less chances of missing a spot or overdoing it
- Gives a natural effect
- Related: Best Japanese anti dandruff shampoo
Rishiri Hair Color Treatment
Here’s a hair color depositing shampoo you will definitely love. Why this is one of the best Japanese shampoo for grey hair is because it is completely natural. If you’re looking for a hair color treatment that has all natural ingredients then Rishiro Hair color treatment is the one!
The Rishiri Hair Color Treatment is formulated with kombu sea kelp extracts from Hokkaido. Even though this Japanese hair shampoo for grey hair is made from seaweed extracts, it has pretty strong hair dyeing capabilities.
This Japanese treatment for grey hair deposits a good amount of color to your hair in no time. You can also leave it for 10 minutes to strengthen the color base.
Even though it’s a strong dye, it’s not harmful for your hair at all as it contains natural kelp along with 28 other hair-moisturizing ingredients. You can simply apply this hair dye on dry hair and rise it off.
It doesn’t have the harsh scent of other dyes as it is free from diamine, parabens, and mineral oil. The Rishiri Hair Color Treatment Shampoo for grey hair comes in brown and black shades.
We tested the Rishiri hair color treatment in house on grey hair.
You have to take a good amount of the Rishiri hair color treatment in order to cover your entire hair. And apply it to your hair and massage it in.
Alternatively, you can also use the brush for application to ensure even distribution of the color treatment. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse
The results after rinsing off the color treatment:
The Rishiri hair color tretament did a wonderful at covering the greys and made hair look more lustrous and moisturised!
How To Use:
- Apply the Rishiri Hair Color Treatment on dry hair
- Let it sit for a few minutes. For best results let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse hair thoroughly
- Super-easy to use
- Not time-consuming
- All-natural products
- Formulated with seaweed extracts
- Contains hair moisturizing ingredients
- Free of mineral oils
ANGFA Scalp D Beaute Hair Color Treatment
ANGFA brand of cosmetics is actually a popular brand for men’s hair care. But the ANGFA Scalp D Beaute range of anti hair fall products is specially designed for women. One of the best Japanese shampoo for grey hair, this color treatment by ANGFA Scalp D Beaute is formulated to not only deposit color to the hair but also nourish it.
ANGFA Scalp D Beaute hair color treatment is formulated with 11 natural and hair nourishing ingredients including camellia, cherry blossom, and argan oil. The formula also contain peptides that nourish grey hair.
One of the best selling Japanese shampoo for grey hair online, the ANGFA Scalp D Beaute Hair Color Treatment comes in four colors – black, dark brown, Maroon Brown and Rose Brown.
The maroon brown adds a golden shade to your hair while the rose brown adds a rose shade to your hair. The rose brown color is pretty unique and difficult to find with other Japanese hair care brands for grey hair. If you’re a fan of auburn shade then you should definitely go for this one.
How To Use:
- Shampoo your hair as usual
- Towel dry your hair
- Apply the ANGFA Scalp D Beaute Hair Color Treatment
- Leave it on 4 – 10 minutes
- Rise thoroughly
- GIves a natural finish with consistent use
- Little color transfer/migration seen on the towel
DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment
DHC is another one of the Japanese cosmetics and beauty giants. It’s not only popular in Japan but is highly sought after for its quality products around the world. DHC offers a variety of products from health supplements, skincare, beauty, and hair care. DHC’s deep cleansing oil is particularly popular and is one of the DHC’s best-selling products.
DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment, no doubt, is one of the best Japanese shampoos for grey hair. In fact, this product paved the way for DHC to enter the color-depositing shampoo market. Like the cleansing oil, DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment is one of DHC’s best-selling hair-care products.
It comes in 4 colors ranging from black to light brown. This Japanese shampoo for grey hair also gradually deposits color over regrowth or existing grey hair. This gives your hair a natural finish. It takes about 3-4 washes with this hair color depositing treatment to build enough color to cover grey hair.
This best Japanese shampoo for grey hair is formulated with double-color formulation. It contains both low molecular weight dyes and ionic color.
The color from the treatment can penetrate your hair in only 5 minutes – thanks to the positive ions present in the dye that are attracted to negative ions in the hair immediately. And the gaps in the cuticle is filled by the low molecular eight dyes. This gives your hair a natural, healthy finish.
The treatment is formulated with Color Fix Cuticle Coat that not only locks in color but also acts as an anti-frizz and evens out your hair texture. The formula of this Japanese shampoo for grey hair also contains CoenzymeQ10. This is a hair-serum ingredient that is naturally derived that not only helps repair hair damage but also conditions your hair.
How to Use:
- Wash hair with shampoo
- Towel dry your hair
- Apply the DHC Q10 Premium Color Treatment
- Rinse thoroughly and towel dry your hair
- Packed with hair nourishing ingredients
- Repairs damaged hair
- Deposits color gradually for a natural finish
- Deposits color in 5 minutes
Related: Best Japanese Hair Oils
Hokkaido Kelp Hair Color Treatment
The next best Japanese shampoo for grey hair is the Hokkaido Kelp Hair Treatment. You can be rest assured that this hair color treatment will not damage your hair or scalp. You can easily apply it at home.
This Japanese hair treatment for grey hair is formulated with 16 kinds of plant extracts including European ivy extracts, roman chamomile extracts, rosemary extracts, German chamomile extracts, watercress extracts, white dead-nettle extracts amongst others.
Even though it’s an all natural product, it’s always recommended that you do a patch test before applying to your hair and scalp, especially if you have a sensitive scalp.
This hair treatment by Hokkaido Kelp not only helps deposit color to cover grey hair but also reduces hair loss. The Hokkaido Kelp hair color treatment comes in two colors brown and black. Even men can use this product to cover grey hair.
How To Use:
- Pour a generous amount of Hokkaido Kelp Hair Color Treatment into wet hands
- Apply the treatment on your hair and scalp, focussing on grey areas and roots
- Leave it on for 10 minutes. It’s recommended to leave it on longer if you’re using it for the first time
- Rinse thoroughly or until the water runs clear
- Dry hair with hairdryer
- Formulated with natural products
- Contain hair and scalp nourishing ingredients
- Reduces hair fall along with covering grey hair
- Easy to use
Angfa Scalp D Hair Color Conditioner
Angfa Scalp D Hair Color Conditioner is a unique product that is designed to not only color your hair but also nourish and condition your scalp.
It is formulated with natural ingredients such as botanical extracts, amino acids, and vitamin E, which work together to promote healthy hair growth and prevent scalp irritation.
One of the best things about this product is that it is gentle on your scalp and does not cause any itching or irritation, which is a common issue with many hair color products.
It is also free from harmful chemicals such as ammonia, which can damage your hair and cause long-term scalp damage.
The color result from this product is also impressive, providing a rich and vibrant shade that lasts for weeks. It is easy to apply, and the conditioning effect leaves your hair feeling soft and silky.
Overall, I would highly recommend Angfa Scalp D Hair Color Conditioner to anyone looking for a natural and effective way to color their hair while also taking care of their scalp.
It is a high-quality product that delivers excellent results and is well worth the investment.
How to use:
- Before using the product, do a patch test on a small area of skin to ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Make sure that your hair is completely clean and free of any hair products.
- Towel dry your hair so that it is damp but not dripping wet.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from staining.
- Squeeze the desired amount of Angfa Scalp D Hair Color Conditioner into a bowl and mix well. The amount needed will depend on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Apply the mixture to your hair using a brush, starting from the roots and working your way down to the tips. Make sure that all your hair is covered evenly.
- Leave the product on your hair for the recommended amount of time (usually around 30 minutes). Do not exceed the recommended time.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water until the water runs clear. Do not use shampoo or conditioner.
- Towel dry your hair and style as desired.
It is important to follow the instructions provided with the product and to do a patch test before use to avoid any adverse reactions. Additionally, it is recommended to use the product in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.
- Nourishes and conditions your scalp while coloring your hair.
- Formulated with natural ingredients, such as botanical extracts, amino acids, and vitamin E.
- Gentle on the scalp and does not cause itching or irritation.
- Free from harmful chemicals such as ammonia.
- Provides rich and vibrant color that lasts for weeks.
- Easy to apply and leaves hair feeling soft and silky.
- Can be used to cover gray hair and provide natural-looking color.
- May promote healthy hair growth.
- May not be suitable for individuals with severe allergies or sensitive skin.
- Color result may vary depending on hair type and condition.
- May require multiple applications for desired color intensity.
- May fade quicker than traditional hair dyes.
- Limited color options compared to traditional hair dyes.
- May be more expensive than some traditional hair dyes.
- Requires a longer processing time compared to some traditional hair dyes.
How To Choose A Color-Depositing Shampoo For Gray Hair?
Choosing a color depositing shampoo for grey hair can be a bit tricky, but here are some tips to help you find the right one:
- Consider the color you want: There are color depositing shampoos available in various shades, including silver, purple, and blue. Decide on the color you want to achieve and choose a shampoo that matches that color.
- Look for sulfate-free formulas: Sulfates can strip your hair of natural oils and cause damage, so it is best to choose a sulfate-free color depositing shampoo. Look for products that are labeled as “sulfate-free” or “gentle.”
- Check the ingredients: Look for natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and vitamin E that can help nourish and strengthen your hair while adding color. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals like ammonia or peroxide.
- Consider your hair type: Color depositing shampoos may not work the same for all hair types. If you have dry or damaged hair, look for a shampoo that is designed to be moisturizing and conditioning. If you have fine or oily hair, choose a lighter formula that won’t weigh your hair down.
- Read reviews: Look for reviews and recommendations from other people with grey hair who have used color depositing shampoos. This can give you an idea of the results you can expect and help you find a product that works well for your hair type.
By considering these factors, you can find a color depositing shampoo that will help you achieve the look you want while keeping your hair healthy and strong.
Best Japanese Shampoo for Gray Hair: FAQs
How does a color depositing shampoo work on gray hair?
A color depositing shampoo contains color pigments like blue and violet etc. These color pigments cover the dull, yellow tones in the gray hair making them appear more vibrant and giving them a brighter shade. Some color depositing shampoos contain dark color pigments which act as a semi-permanent dye to cover the grays.
Is it safe to use color depositing shampoo on gray hair?
Color depositing shampoos are safe to use on gray hair because they contain comparatively fewer chemicals and dyes than permanent hair dyes. Using a color depositing shampoo on gray hair will color your hair with color pigments like purple which makes your gray appear cool and vibrant without causing any damages to your hair.
Can you use color depositing shampoo on grey hair?
You can use color depositing shampoos on grey hair to cover the grays. Color deposting shampoo cover gray hairs as these type of shampoos are formulated with color pigments. Some may also help in fixing the brassy tones of grey hair.
Does color depositing conditioner work on grey hair?
Just using color depositing conditioner may not be enough to civer your grey hairs. While color depositing conditioners may add some color to the grey hair, it will not do a good job it blending the greys with the rest of your hair.
Is there a Japanese shampoo for grey hair that is not purple?
Shiseido Professional The Hair Care Adenovital Shampoo for Gray Hair is a Japanese shampoo for grey hair that is not purple. This shampoo contains natural ingredients like Adenosine, which can help to improve hair density and promote healthy hair growth, as well as Japanese botanical extracts such as ginseng and ophiopogon japonicus, which help to nourish and strengthen the hair. It is also formulated to be gentle on the scalp while providing the benefits of enhancing the natural color of grey hair.
So these were some of the best Japanese shampoo for grey hair. If you don’t want to use hair dyes because of the harsh ingredients that it might contain, you should definitely give one of these best Japanese shampoo for grey hair a try!