Constantly dealing with that annoying muscular pain? Try out these best Japanese pain patches that can help you get rid of that ache in a jiffy without you having to swallow down some pills.
These pain patches are safe to use, give you fantastic relief and the best part is that they don’t have any side effects, unlike many oral painkillers.
Which is the best Japanese pain patch?
I tried several Japanese pain patches and rated them based on pain relief, type, how long it lasts, application. I found that Salonpas lidocaine is the best Japanese pain patch.
Salonpas lidocaine contains 4% lidocaine that numbs the pain in the area applied. This Japanese pain patch offers temporary relief. It’s a gel type pain patch that feels comfortable on the skin and gives relief from pain for upto 10 to 12 hours.
Top Japanese Pain Patches
|Best Japanese Pain Patches||Best for||Link|
|Salonpas lidocaine (3 pack)||Longer pain relief||View On Amazon|
|Salonpas Pain Relieving Patches||Sprains, Muscle Pain||View On Amazon|
|Nichiban Roihi-tsuboko Pain Relief Patches||Chronic Pain||View On Amazon|
|Pipp Eleciban||Relieving stiffness||View On Amazon|
|Hot Refenda Patches||Chronic aches||View On Amazon|
|Salonpas Pain Relieving Hot Gel-Patch||Reducing inflammation, Swelling||View On Amazon|
|Salonpas Pain Relief – Patches Large||Long lasting pain relief, upto 12 hours||View On Amazon|
|Salonpas-Hot Capsicum Patch||Back, shoulder, thighs, immediate pain relief||View On Amazon|
|ROIHI-TSUBOKO Cool-Type Plaster||Sudden aches, stiffness||View On Amazon|
#1 — Salonpas Lidocaine Pain Relief Patch
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Longer pain relief
All over Japan, there are two brands of pain relief patches that are super famous. Salonpas is one of those brands and it’s easy to see why.
The huge variety of pain patches by Salonpas caters to just about every type of pain relief you might need.
The Lidocaine pain relief patch uses 4% of the anesthesia to numb the area and get rid of the pain.
This has a gel-like consistency inside the patch which makes it very comfortable on the skin.
- Contains 4% lidocaine as the active ingredient to numb the area of pain
- Offers immediate temporary relief from pain
- Gel type of patch that feels comfortable on the skin
- Offers relief for at least 10 to 12 hours
#2 — Salonpas Pain Relieving Patches
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Sprains, Muscle Pain
Try the Salonpas Pain Relieving patches for temporary relief from sprains, muscular aches, and pain due to fatigue.
It is small in size and can be used for smaller areas. This is a patch you will forget you are wearing as it made out of flexible fabric and with rounded corners.
The patch contains camphor, menthol and methyl salicylate, three very effective topical pain relievers.
- Contains menthol, methyl salicylate and camphor as its active ingredients
- These ingredients are efficient pain relievers
- Ideally to be used for relieving sore muscles, arthritis, stiff backs and joint pains
- For smaller areas of pain
- Rounded edges and flexible, stretchy fabric offer comfort
- Strong adhesive backing, easy to peel off and stick on
- Offers pain relief for upto 8 hours
#3 — Nichiban Roihi-tsuboko Pain Relief Patches
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Chronic Pain
Nichiban Roihi-tsuboko is another big seller in Japan as well as in other places where pain patches are sold. Roihi-tsuboko comes in two types, a hot and a cold.
We have featured both on our list, but let’s start with the hot pain relief patches. The best thing about these patches is the shape.
They are round and small in size, perfect for applying them on specific parts instead of a whole area. They are very powerful and work much better than the ointment.
- Round in shape and small in size
- Perfect for targeting specific pain points
- Very powerful and offers immediate relief
- Use for chronic pain
- Not meant for sensitive skin as it is very strong. Can cause itching and redness
- Available in packs of multiple numbers according to your need
#4 — Pip Eleciban Magnetic Pain Relief Patch
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Relieving stiffness
The next Japanese pain patch to feature on our list is very different from the ones you usually come across.
The Pip Eleciban Magnetic pain relief patch contains a magnet and uses that energy to help the blood circulate, getting rid of the pain in your body.
It works especially when you have stiffness from holding a position for too long, like doing the same job, sitting at one place all day long.
The magnet works until it wears out and the adhesive is quite strong too.
- Uses magnetism to get the blood circulation going
- Magnet and adhesive are very strong and work for many days
- Reusable magnet
- Helps relieve stiffness, sprains and muscular aches
- Round in shape and easy to apply to targeted pain points
#5 — Hot Refenda Patches
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Chronic aches
Refanda pain relief patches are available in both hot and cool types. We feature the hot on our list for relief from chronic pain.
This is a great choice for those who struggle with constant knee pain, arthritis and stiffness in the joints. It contains pure capsicum extract that produces the heat required to heal you of your aches.
This is not very strong and is ideal if you don’t want something very strong.
- Hot pain patches for immediate relief from chronic aches, sprains and stiffness
- The patch is stretchable, easy to peel and stick on
- Contains capsicum extract for the warmth required
- Is gentle and mild on the body and skin
- Can be used even by sensitive skin types as it is not very strong
#6 — Salonpas Pain Relieving Hot Gel-Patch
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Reducing Inflammation, Swelling
The Hot Gel patch by Salonpas is what you should use if you want relief from constant pain like arthritis, backaches, sprains and strains.
It contains capsicum extracts and menthol to produce the heat and reduce inflammation of the muscles.
Since it is a gel patch, it is super comfortable when you want to use it the whole day.
- The active ingredients in the hot patch are capsicum extracts and menthol
- They produce heat in the pad, keeping the area applied to, warm
- Menthol brings down inflammation in the area and reduces swelling
- Capsicum extract makes the area hot and feels like a gentle massage for relieving pain
- Good adhesive that is easy to apply, and holds on
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
#7 — Salonpas Pain Relief Patches Large
Best Japanese Pain Relief For Long-lasting pain relief
If you have a larger area of pain and you are wondering how many pain patches you have to apply, don’t worry, Salonpas has you covered.
The Large pain relief patches are great for covering a bigger area of your back where you have a lot of stiffness.
These feature similar active ingredients as their smaller counterparts, menthol and methyl salicylate, but in different proportions.
- Contains menthol in 3% strength and methyl salicylate in 10% concentration as the active ingredients
- The pain patch is great for covering larger areas, like your back or thighs
- Gives temporary relief for up to 12 hours
- Strong adhesive backing that stays on until you peel it off
- Comfortable, flexible fabric with rounded edges for feasibility of movement
#8 — Salonpas Hot Capsicum Patch
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Immediate Pain Relief
The Hot Capsicum patch by Salonpas is an extra strong and powerful pain relief patch.
The heat produced is quite intense and offers wonderful relief for those suffering from chronic arthritis, muscle pains, joint stiffness, sprains and muscle fatigue.
This is a large patch that offers more coverage. The fabric is flexible and has holes for easy breathability.
- A powerful and strong patch that gives immediate pain relief
- The primary ingredient is capsicum extract that produces the heat
- Not suitable if you have sensitive skin or if you are allergic to hot pepper extracts, aka, capsaicin
- The size of the patch is large, to be used on larger areas like the shoulders, back and thighs
- The fabric is breathable and can be used without any discomfort for many hours
#9 — ROIHI-TSUBOKO Cool-Type Plaster
Best Japanese Pain Patches For Sudden Aches
As promised, here’s the other pain relief plaster by Nichiban, the ROIHI-TSUBOKO Cool-Type Plaster.
This is a pain patch you can use for those sudden aches and pains, like, say you have overworked your arm or you’ve suddenly sprained an ankle.
This is also round-shaped and elastic like the other Nichiban pain patches and backed with a strong adhesive.
So this is easy to apply and won’t peel off until you choose to remove it.
- Round shaped, elastic and small in size
- Has a strong adhesive
- Ideal for places like on your jawline where a square pain patch might be difficult to be applied on
- Gives the area a cool sensation, helping relieve sudden aches, stiffness and sprains
- Has anti-inflammatory ingredients that bring down redness and swelling
Types of Japanese pain patches
There are two types of pain patches – a cold one and a hot one. Cold is recommended for sudden pain while hot is recommended for chronic aches and pain. You also have the option of a strong pain patch or a weaker one depending on the type of ingredients in it.
Benefits of using Japanese pain patches
- They are easy to use and free of side-effects, unlike pills
- Safe to be used by those who are allergic to oral medicines
- They don’t interfere with food or other medication
- They only work on the area they are applied to, so your internal organs like your liver, stomach and kidneys are safe
How to use a Japanese pain patch?
- Clean the area that is affected
- Peel off the sticker or the backing paper from the pain patch
- Place it on the area that requires relief
- Leave it on for about 8 to 12 hours or until you feel relief
- If required, apply a second patch after you remove the first one
Hiya! I’m the main author of Japan Truly. I love everything Japan and love testing out Japanese products, be it skincare and makeup or gadgets! You’ll find reviews of some of the best selling Japanese products (tried and tested) right here!